Friday, April 8, 2011

Why can't I keep viewing the world through my rose-tinted glasses?







So.. I'm at Charmant’s place having a celebratory glass of bad decisions as a reward after a hard day's work launching Kisslocke's 50th collection. Anything to justify the indulgence in good champagne. ^_^

I find myself wondering, yet again, why I’m constantly focusing on my own petty problems when there are much bigger issues going on around the world. Take Japan, for example. They’ve just experienced yet another earthquake that measures a 7.5 on the richter scale.

Aren't we all inherently selfish? How many of us would actually do anything without expecting something in return? When we do a good deed, do we not feel the teeny tiniest shred of self-satisfaction and applaud ourselves for our generosity?
To quote one of my best friends, ‘Why have we, humans, evolved to what we are? Why can't we do something out of the purity of our hearts?’

In response, I say that the society plays a huge role in shaping us into what we are today - the constant need for competition, the perpetual struggle to succeed financially and socially and the relentless tussle we experience just so we can go on living day by day.

But society aside, humans (like any other animals) are born with survival instincts. We learn to hustle to survive, even if it means compromising on our values and turning on one another. Lions and tigers kill their own kind when food sources are scarce too. Even dogs will fight over mates and territories. It's inbuilt in all of us in our struggle for continued existence.

I wish to see the world from a child's eyes – to be filled with hope and purity, where good and evil are clearly segmented and to believe in honour, integrity and justice.

As I grow as a person, I get more and more disillusioned about mankind.

Why can't I keep viewing the world through my rose-tinted glasses?

No comments: