Saturday, April 16, 2011

How do you define a ‘perfect relationship’?

What are the qualities that go into achieving one?

I have learned, through the past seven months or so, that perfection isn’t what it’s all cracked up to be.

He may not be the smartest; nor the wealthiest. He may not be sensitive enough to my emotions or my needs. He may be selfish at times; he may put other things before me. He may occasionally make me feel unimportant or even unappreciated. He may make me question my investment and my time spent on this relationship.

But I’ve come to realize that I’m not perfect either. I’m forgetful, lazy, insensitive and incredibly argumentative. I pick fights and get unreasonably angry over the smallest things. Yet he loves me, and has loved me right from the start despite how broken I was. He took the time and effort to rebuild me, piece by piece; and he taught me things I never thought I would ever understand.

What makes a relationship work is mutual respect and the ability to see your partner’s imperfections as.. Perfection. We learn to accept a person for who he is, despite all his shortcomings and undesirable traits. Do our parents love us any less for our inadequacy? Do we love our parents any less for any weaknesses that they may have? I don’t know about you, but for me the answer is a resounding no. If we can love our families unconditionally, why can’t we extend that border to include our partners or the people around us? Must we give love; only to expect it in return?

It’s funny how love is the only thing that can be divided without being diminished; the only thing that we can give freely without losing anything in return – Yet humans are rarely generous with it.

We take for granted the things that we should be giving thanks for. :)

No comments: