Monday, November 28, 2011

So.. Quite a number of you have been asking me for makeup tips, or to do a video on how I construct my everyday look. I attempted to do a video a while back, but it was a failure.. In epic proportions. I couldn’t figure out how or where to place my mirror that would allow me a clear enough view of my face for precise makeup application, while not blocking the camera at the same time so you guys can actually see what the hell I’m doing. Yeah, well. I couldn’t figure it out. And being a perfectionist.. I refuse to do a video if it’s gonna be sub-standard. After all, I like to believe my makeup skills are pretty phenomenal. As such, I should have a kick-ass makeup video to complement my abilities. Never settle for less, never!

I’ve constructed a step-by-step makeup tutorial, complete with pictures of each stage to show you how I attained the final look!

The look that I’m gonna show you today is an evening / night smokey eye look – for most people, that is. I religiously apply this look everyday for every possible occasion, because after countless experiments, I’ve realized that this look works best for me. And yes, I’m aware it’s a little heavy for day wear, but fuck it. It’s my face, right? lolol. Right. Read on!



Step 1: Base

So the first step is to pat on your foundation and powder to create a smooth canvas. If you’ve got great skin, feel free to skip this step. But I personally think it’s essential to dust on a light layer of powder at the very least. This will keep your skin matte and smooth, and will also help prevent the harsh pigments in your eyeshadow / blusher from staining your skin.

I don’t use foundation per se cos it’s harsh and bad for skin. Instead, I use BB Cream. Its coverage may not be as good as foundation, but I’d rather have less coverage but healthier skin in the long run, no?




I’m using HD Perfect BB Cream from TheFaceShop. It’s a slightly thicker version so it covers my pores pretty well. One downside is that it’s pretty dry and tends to get cakey. Meh.



To set the BB Cream, I use a mineral face powder from AHAVA. And God, do I swear by this brand or what?! All their products are infused with Dead Sea Mineral extracts that work wonders for skin. I genuinely saw an improvement in my complexion after religiously using only this face powder.


Step 2: Eyeliner

If a hurricane suddenly hits Singapore and I only had the time to pack one cosmetic item, it’ll be my eyeliner. Seriously, you guys. I swear that this little pot is packed with a wonderous concoction that will TRANSFORM YOUR EYES.





I usually just draw one thin line along my upper lash line first. Then, I’ll proceed to stick on double eyelid tape OR double eyelid fibre. What’s the difference, you may ask? Well, eyelid fibre is a whole lot less obvious than tape.



These are my eyes with the fibre stuck on them. It’s just a thin microscopic line, much more natural as compared to tape.



Eyelid Fibre comes in a little box like this!

A single fibre strip.

However, I don’t know if double eyelid fibres will work for people with single eyelids. I’ve read reviews about people complaining that single lidded eyes have too much skin / fats thus the need to only use tape. Hmmmm. Not my problem. I do have double eyelids, but they’re not defined or parallel enough for successful makeup application.



Sooooo anyway, after sticking on my eyelid fibre, I will proceed to really draw on my eyeliner in a precise way that will contour and reshape my eyes. This is achieved by extending my line all the way past the tear duct (illustrated in the picture above with red arrows) and by creating an obvious wing at the outer corners. This will really open up your eyes and elongate them – making them humongous.


Step 3: Base Eyeshadow




Take a light beige nude colour (should be a shade lighter than your actual skin tone) and sweep it generously along the inner halves of your eyes, along the tear ducts and at the bottom of your lids. This will serve to further open up your eyes and add that sparkle and glint, making you look fresh and awake all the time.

Take a deep brown and sweep it along the outer corners of your eyes, filling in the crease. This creates a shadow effect, giving the illusion of deep set eyes.


Step 4: Black Eyeshadow




Use a dense, precise brush and brush on black eyeshadow generously over your previous brown eyeshadow, allowing the brown to peek out just a little above your black. Be sure to only apply the black on the outer half of your eyes. After which, grab your blending brush (it’s very important to invest in a good blending brush. I’m using one from Coastal Scents) and blend out all the harsh lines. The key to creating a winning smokey look is to BLEND, BLEND, BLEND! Allow the colours to seamlessly transcend into each other to achieve a polished, smouldering finish.

I’m aware that this is the part most people find challenging – actually blending the black eyeshadow to achieve a soft focus finish instead of an ugly harsh blob on your face. I do regret not being able to demonstrate this on video, but trust me when I say all it really takes is patience.


Step 5: Eyebrows

Fill in your eyebrows and shape them however you like!





I personally like creating a defined arch, and I do so with MAC’s brow powder and brow brush. This trusty brow powder has lasted me for a good 3 years and it hasn’t even hit the pan. The brow brush works wonders too!

I know some girls don’t thread or shape their brows cos they think that if they already have thin brows, they shouldn’t further aggravate the situation by removing more hairs. THIS IS WRONG. By shaping your brows, you will achieve a defined shape without those tiny stray hairs lingering around and this will make your brows appear fuller, darker and defined!


Step 6: False Eyelashes



I don’t usually use false eyelashes unless I have an event or have plans to hit the clubs. But when I do, I usually only use falsies from Cosmos. You can find this brand at our local SaSa stores. These lashes are fabulous because they’re comfortable, thin and incredibly natural looking! They look and feel like real lashes, to the extent that people often can’t tell that I’m even using falsies.

I’m not a fan of thick dramatic fake eyelashes cos they look, well, fake. Natural’s the way to go, and I would suggest you try it too!

I also use only DUO Surgical Adhesive as my eyelash glue – this nifty little formula’s strong as bricks. Your eyelashes will NEVER fall off while you’re out.
I also never use mascara on my top lashes because the flakes tend to fall into my eyes and irritate my contact lenses. I only apply mascara on my lower lashes. Don’t skip this step – it makes a huge difference, trust me!


Step 7: Bronzer

I never use blusher because I’m a huge fan of contouring.

Choose a bronzer that’s one shade darker than your actual skin tone, and sweep the formula along the hollows of your cheeks. Don’t know where this is? Simple. Take a mirror, look in it, and do a ‘fish face’. Don’t know what’s a fish face? Simple.

This is a fish face.


And yes, sweep your bronzer where the arrow is pointing.



You may also choose to contour your nose (I do that) to make it appear sharper. I don’t do it to make my nose any sharper – it’s already fucking humongous. I do it to make it appear slimmer. Damn. I do envy those asian girls like Angelababy with cute button noses. FML.


Step 8: Primp your puckers!

Apply lipstick / gloss / balm!

I personally never use lipstick or lipgloss cos I think it’s uncomfortable. Feels like a film of oil on my mouth. Gag. So I only use LipIce’s lip balms.


Step 9: Fluff your hair!

Create your favourite hairstyle! I always screw my hair into a messy bun with tendrils cos it’s the easiest and fastest hairstyle.


Step 10: Look slammin’!

Shimmy into your favourite dress and heels and get ready to kick some ass. I recommend buying your dresses / outfits from Kisslocke. They’ve got pretty fabulous stuff. Ahem.

Okay I’m done with my insanely long monologue. I’m down with a fever, by the way. I officially sound like a man. Of which I’m not complaining.. I come across all husky and sexy now. Hahaha.

PS: I'm wearing permanent contact lenses for SHORT-SIGHTED VISION in the pictures. I am, by no measure, wearing enlarging contact lenses of any kind. It annoys me when people who have perfect eyesight insist on wearing contact lenses.. It's redundant. And to go through the hassle just for aesthetic purposes? Meh. Then again, it's a free country..

9 comments:

stefsung said...

I love your blog posts, Beatrice! Very funny and interesting. Update more! :p

Anonymous said...

This is really helpful!! Where can I get the double eye lid fibre? Thanks. Anyway I tried the double eyelid sticker for the first time and I became single eyelid! Fml. So difficult to use!! :(

Anonymous said...

pls share where to get the eyelid fibre thanks!

Alethea said...

OMG am totally gonna steal that "draw liner to your tear duct" trick. Totally genius.

Anonymous said...

hi, please share where you bought the eyelid fibre! :)

Beat said...

stefsung: thanks, love! but i'm perhaps the world's laziest blogger. once a week's all i can do. lolol.

Beat said...

anonymous(s): why so many anons!? please leave your names so i can address your questions specifically! (:

i got the double eyelid fibre from shoponblog.com.

for those of you experiencing difficulties using eyelid fibres / stickers, the trick is to STRETCH it across your eyelid so it creates a deep crease!

Beat said...

ale: haha I KNOW, RIGHT?! us small eyed asian chicks have to utilize cosmetics to their fullest potential. lolol.

Anne said...

omg! you look ever prettier without make up! (1st picture).