Friday, May 6, 2011

With just a single day left before the general elections, I have decided to sit my ass down and translate my thoughts and views into words. First things first, I don’t usually give half a damn about politics and I tend to keep my opinions to myself, but recent events have fuelled me to stand up and say something. These recent events can be loosely translated to mean: Celebrity bloggers taking stands against the opposition and subtly nudging citizens to support the PAP through their influence.

I used to strongly believe in the PAP and speak up for them when people passed harsh judgement about their policies. I used to think that most people were just itching for something controversial to talk about. It was till this upcoming General Election when I found out that my parents were going to vote for the opposition that I questioned my dad about his decision and have since opened my eyes to the things I have been blind to.

I do not doubt that the PAP has done a fantastic job governing Singapore over the past 40 years or so. They have successfully put us on the map and boosted our economy growth, allowing us to flourish tremendously. However, people are so myopic about what’s happening around us right now by constantly referring to the achievements the PAP has accomplished in the past.

The PAP has garnered such a tremendous amount of unopposed power that they are allowed to pass any law they deem fit and draw a salary of millions of dollars a year. Want an idea of the amount of money our Prime Minister earns a year? He earns a whopping $3,000,000 a year, as opposed to Obama, the president of United States who earns a mere $400,000. Where do you think the money that funds our PM’s salary comes from, my friends? It comes from our pockets. It comes from the wallets of our parents; our taxpayers. Do you know that according to the Guinness Book of Records, the 30 highest paid politicians in the world all come from Singapore?

You may not physically see it, but there are poor people all over Singapore who can barely afford 3 square meals a day. There are old people working their asses off in hawker centres, cleaning toilets and mopping floors. There are old uncles sleeping on playground benches and old aunties sleeping in temples. The golden question is: Why doesn’t the government help these people?

It’s not as though the government is poor, as seen from the insane salary they earn a year. I’m not just talking about the PM. I’m talking about all members of parliament. They may not earn $3 million a year like our Prime Minister does, but you can make an informed guess based on his salary. Why can’t our government take out a mere portion of their salary a year to help the less fortunate? Why can’t our government establish a pension scheme to help the elderly after they have contributed to the growth of the economy over the years?

I, for one, will not stand the possibility of seeing my own parents working and suffering in their retiring years. You may think, ‘Oh, my parents have saved enough money for their old age. They’ve got their CPF to keep them afloat, too!’

To that, I say: Do you honestly think your parents (I’m talking about average income families here) have enough money in their CPF accounts to last the rest of their retiring years? How about housing? Most of them would have used this CPF money to pay for the house you are currently living in.

And the best part? Our Health Minister actually suggested that we send our parents to nursing homes in Johor Bahru if we cannot afford to take care of them in Singapore.

So that’s his genius solution. To ship our parents off to the neighbouring country instead of using our extensive resources to help them. If you think it’s just and right to ship your parents off to another country then by all means, please vote for the PAP. I just hope you like Malaysia enough to be prepared to go there when YOU retire, too.

Some people may argue that although our ministers may draw an exorbitant salary, at least the government is clean and free from corruption. Yeah, our government may be free from corruption because everything they do is legitimized. They don’t need to steal funds by some backhand channel – They are licensed to take our taxpayers’ money outright in the form of policies that are implemented, unimpeded.

Essentially, I do not doubt that PAP has done a fantastic job governing us in the past, but they have since gained over two-thirds of the seats in Parliament and this has allowed them to pass and force any laws down our throats over the recent years. They have, time and again, drawn up schemes and acted to their own whims and fancies without an opposition strong enough to question them. If the opposition is granted at least half the seats in Parliament in this election, we will then have an alternate ruling party to keep the PAP in check and ensure that biased laws that selfishly benefit any government’s personal interests are not passed, unchecked.

Some friends I have spoken to have disagreed with me, preferring to stay in their own comfort zones and avoid ‘biting the hand that feeds you’. But what you may fail to realize is: This hand has not been feeding you in the recent years. This hand has been taking your food and slapping you in the face with it yet you numbly come back for more, willingly. Should we let our fear for change stand in the way of the hope of a brighter future? Open your eyes to what’s happening around us and know that you have the power to make a difference.

After all, change is the only constant.

6 comments:

Lorraine said...

I absolutely love the way you write, Beatrice. So honest and of substance. I personally feel it's impossible to achieve complete transparency where politics are concerned, but it's ridiculous how the PAP has indeed taken 'negligence' towards (accounting to) our people to the next level and think they can get away with it just cos' they're the ruling party and supposedly having the upper hand. And it's always a case of 'why you should not vote for opposition' instead of 'why you should vote for us, the PAP', don't y'think so? Especially after the way MM Lee has very openly criticised the WP team in Aljunied and threatened the residents in Aljunied. What a way to try to garner votes.

With regards to celebrity bloggers who seem to gravitate towards being pro-PAP, have you been to Xiaxue's blog? I'd love to know what's your take. I don't deny to agreeing with some of the things she's written, but I also feel perhaps her stand's a tad too biased and that she's not yet reached an age where the issues that many Singaporeans feel strongly 'bout (say, the elderly regarding CPF or parents who are concerned with housing prices for their children) affects her firsthand. What d'you think?

Beat said...

Hi Lorraine, nothing makes me happier than when people appreciate my writing and for that, I thank you. (:

I thoroughly agree with you that the way MM Lee threatened the residents of Aljunied was completely out of line and unnecessary. Any discerning person would see this as a direct insult to the whole point of democracy and make an informed choice. I think MM Lee pretty much shot himself in the foot but then again, a lot of Singaporeans fail to see the big picture.

With regards to Xiaxue's blog post, I do agree that PAP has done a fantastic job in the past and for that, they deserve appreciation and credit. However, it is not wise to continue to blindly support them based on their past accomplishments without looking at events that are unfolding right now. I'm a good 4 years younger than Xiaxue thus I don't think her age contributes to or justifies her ignorance on subject matters such as CPF and future housing prices. Then again, she might be aware of everything but just choosing not to address the issues. Essentially, she is entitled to her own opinion and I respect that, I just disagree with her on many counts and I hope that the large masses of Singaporeans who read her blog will be discerning enough not to just lap up everything she says and let it affect their votes. (:

jt said...

hi beatrice, i admire your courage to speak up! your blog post has been an interesting read and i think its time for ppl to start being more open minded and not be scared of the goverment. =P

Anonymous said...

Singaporeans are just ungrateful and always want more an more and expect the pap to do everything for them. We have a efficient government, better than America or Europe and Singapore citizens judges and keeps demanding and wanting more!

Beat said...

JT: Thank you, I appreciate your vote of confidence. (:

Beat said...

Anonymous: Have you considered that Singapore seems to have a much more efficient government when compared to countries like the USA because we are so small and thus extending control and applying laws / changes across the country is a much easier task in comparison to other much larger countries?

I don't think it's wrong for Singaporeans to want pension for senior citizens or transparency when laws are being passed, instead of having the wool pulled over our eyes, time and again. Perhaps you should do some research pertaining to the amount of funds the PAP has lost in recent years due to unwise investments, among many other issues they keep from the people.