Tuesday, January 7, 2014

CHRISTMAS 2013!!

So, CHRISTMAS!

It truly is the most wonderful time of the year. With nostalgic Christmas tunes playing softly in the background of the malls, the colourful tinsel and baubles draped all around the polished interior of buildings, and the festive menus proudly displayed at the entrance of restaurants... It's almost magical.

I've always wanted to spend a Christmas over in the US or UK simply because it's celebrated in a much larger scale over there. I have yet to see a real-life (well, as real-life as it gets) Santa Claus giving out presents at a shopping mall, or obsessively decorated homes with hedges trimmed into reindeer-shaped works of art, or snow gently resting along rooftops and window panes. Yup.. Clearly I've been watching too many Winter Wonderland movies but one can hardly blame me.. After all, it's Christmas. Sigh.

I remember hanging stockings by my window back when I was a kid. Of course this isn't a widely practised tradition in Singapore, but thanks to reading an overwhelming amount of children's storybooks with vivid descriptions of Christmas in far flung countries while I was a tot, my little mind convinced myself that Christmas here on our little Sunny island COULD be as wonderful.. If only I believed!

So I believed. I hung my Christmas stockings, ate Chocolate Pudding and Turkey and watched the sky on Christmas day for snow to start falling. I recall there was a particular year in which I convinced myself that the clouds really were snow.. Just that they were somehow stuck together and needed some rain to dislodge them from the sky. Yup... Imaginative indeed.

Went for Christmas Eve mass this year as usual - with the best present from the Universe yet: THE FLU.

Headed to Michelle's house to celebrate after mass with the gang as usual, and had the BEST Secret Santa gift exchange ever! I know Christmas isn't about the presents but.. I SECRETLY REALLY LOVE IT!

Christmas day itself was spent in a helicopter as I had a gourmet lunch with the man of my dreams, Ryan Gosling. We flew over the city and hugged the clouds, Aladdin and Jasmine style, whilst singing Carols with the vocal ability of Celine Dion..... Not.

In actuality, I spent my Christmas day under the covers at home, nursing my cold. Guess who took Rudolf's place as the red nosed reindeer this Christmas? :(

No comments: